Friday, August 29, 2014

I'm On A Boat

And now, I am FINALLY caught up to last weekend's festivities. Just in time before Labor Day weekend rolls around (4 PM to be exact, not like I'm counting or anything...) There's barely a soul in the office besides myself right now. So writing about what I did last weekend (I know you don't actually care) sounds like the best and only approach at this point...

Friday night was really not very noteworthy. Unless you get as excited as I do about lounging alone doing nothing expect for your laundry and watching sappy movies and eating Skinnypop, then you probably don't want to hear about it. So I'll skip ahead to the fun stuff.

BUT FIRST, I obviously have to talk about the weather. It's only been the best conversation filler since the beginning of time. It's a comfortable, safe topic, so let me start here by making you feel relaxed. Saturday morning I went for my usual run along the East River. It was about 65 degrees and cloudy in the middle August, which is rare for an NYC summer. Since it was so nice, I decided to take a little stroll though the nearby park (Carl Schurz Park) before heading back to prepare for the heavy drinking that was soon to follow. If this picture doesn't scream fall in August, I don't know what does. Kind of amazing actually...



For brunch we went to Brass Monkey located right off The High Line on Little West 12th Street. We made a bee-line straight towards the stairs which led us to their rooftop beer garden. The area is pretty small, but it's big enough to hold just the right amount of people so no one has to sit on top of one another or scream over other people's conversations. It was reaaaaal chill, you guys. Their brunch menu isn't very extensive (and it actually differs from the wider range of options they advertise on their website, unfortunately), but they had a great Breakfast Flatbread with pesto, arugula, and fried egg. Also gotta give them kudos for serving their drafts in jumbo mason jars.


Next comes the fun part, and something I've been wanting to do ever since I moved to NYC. I knew it had to be done ASAP or I'd have to wait until next summer. We took a stroll along The High Line until we reached.....The Frying Pan! Everyone around here has been talking about it, and it sounded to me like the popular hangout spot for the recent college grads of New York. The Frying Pan is a huge historic ship that's been permanently docked at Pier 66 Maritime (West 26th Street in Chelsea). The ship has been converted into a bar and grill, so there are multiple tables and bars set up all over the deck of the boat. 

Not only was this cool in itself, but it only got better the more that I was able to explore. It actually wasn't until I went to the bathroom that I was able to truly adventure "below deck." The inside of the ship was so authentic but also really quirky. I loved it. There were random, single tables with flowers scattered throughout the under part, and even single rooms where I assume larger parties could rent out to do some private raging. There were more "secret bar" areas down here also, and if you go down one flight of stairs further you're hit with blaring tunes and colorful lights. It's almost like there's this entirely secret club located in the middle of the ship, but everyone up above is oblivious to all that the ship has to offer.

Although below deck was awesome, we spent the majority of our time up on deck with the rest of the seafarers. While enjoying your buckets of beers, The Frying Pan offers a really nice view of the Hudson River and the Freedom Tower. The ship is also conveniently located close to a helicopter pad, so we were able to enjoy watching the Christian Grey's of NYC coming and going to The Hamptons. One day people, one day... 




No comments:

Post a Comment