Monday, September 15, 2014

A Fajita Friday and Saucy Saturday

I've been doing a lot of going out for meals lately which isn't something I usually tend to do. So I was glad that Friday night was a quiet one in and I was able to try out a new recipe. I've never made fajitas before but I had an Oven Baked Fajita recipe that I decided to explore, and they turned out better than I expected. And the best part is the entire meal only cost me 13 bucks to make. I'd say that's a whole lot less than I would've spent had I continued my usual Friday night antics.

If you wanna give the dish a whirl, the recipe can be found here: Oven Baked Fajitas. The recipe was surprisingly very easy to make. I did stray just a tiny bit from some of the ingredients. I didn't have all of the spices, so I used cumin, paprika, and a southwest chipotle seasoning blend. I also couldn't find any diced green chilies so I instead bought fire roasted tomatoes. I still think it turned out to have some great flavor and even a kick to it. I also topped off each fajita with a dollop of guacamole. Duh.

Here's a sneak peek before they went into the oven:

And here it is (city)served up!
                                                

Saturday morning rolled around without a headache, which was a nice change of pace! Because I tend to get excited over the little things, I made WAFFLES!!!!! That's something that hardly ever happens. But it had to be done. I went across the street to Gristedes and grabbed some frozen waffles (okay, they were still Kashi brand with 24 grams of whole grain) and some syrup (lite, come on you guys) and cooked up a warm and wonderful breakfast. Breakfast was served with a side of fruit and some hot french vanilla coffee for one of the first days that felt like fall.


Since Friday night was unusually quiet and so was the Saturday morning breakfast, obviously something drastic was off course within the solar system. This could only mean one thing was in order: boozy brunch. We made a skip and a hop over to the East Village for a reservation at The Winslow (East 14th Street) for a birthday party celebration. I've been to The Winslow once before on a hanger whim (for those of you that may not be familiar with the term "hanger," it means when you get so hungry you are angry, offensive, moody, and simply not your usual, people-friendly self. A lot of bad things have happened and been said out of hanger. It is best to avoid it at all costs). Literally, that day I was so hangry if I didn't get a burger and a Bloody Mary someone may have been harmed along the way. I'm glad that on this trip to The Winslow I was able to enjoy the food and not just simply inhale it.

Our service was absolutely incredible, which put the cherry on top of the experience. We all went for the mimosa pitchers which for awhile there we thought may never end. The term "bottomless brunch" could not have been more accurate. I guess that's a good problem to have. They also had a great variety of dishes. The burger, egg sandwich, and chicken and waffles seemed to be the most popular choices. I ordered an omelette with goat cheese that came with potatoes and a side salad. With about 15 of us there for well over 2 hours, we each only paid a little over 20 bucks in total. The Winslow is most definitely a place we would return to in the near future. Those people sure hook. you. UP.

Never ending mimosas at The Winslow


No comments:

Post a Comment