Sunday, September 28, 2014

Pumpkin Spice EVERYTHING

Tis the season for pumpkin pickin'! So although for the recipe I'll be sharing I didn't actually pick a pumpkin myself, it's still the thought that counts. I would love to go either pumpkin or apple picking this fall, but that's obviously a little difficult with living in the city now. I definitely wouldn't mind choosing a nice Saturday to venture to a spot outside of Manhattan though, so if anyone has any suggestions please let me know!

It's also clearly the season when girls go crazy for anything and everything pumpkin spice flavored. I like to indulge in the pumpkin and cider flavors for the traditional fall experience, but I keep myself to a reasonable limit. I also try to wait until the end of September/beginning of October before I begin participating so that I don't get sick of the flavor before the real heart of fall even begins.

When it comes to indulging in the pumpkin spice flavors, I try to get creative as I'd like to keep it clean. I steer clear of the pumpkin spice lattes as a result of the ungodly amount of unnatural sugars, but I'd be lying if I didn't tell you I just ordered some Green Mountain Pumpkin Spiced Coffee for my morning brew. At least that way I can get the flavor without all of the sugar. The limited edition of Thomas' Pumpkin Spice English Muffins are also to DIE for (I can't find those anywhere here either!). Smear a little peanut butter on one those things and you're in heaven. I think I had recently seen a commercial for Eggo's Pumpkin Spice Waffles, but also haven't found those in stores. Both of these options contain enough whole grains to make them healthier pumpkin spice choices.

But, out of all of these, the following recipe is my absolute favorite (and healthy) pumpkin recipe for fall. Today marks my first Pumpkin Spice Protein Shake of the season!!


You can follow the link for the original recipe, but I tend to tweak it a little bit. My special formula looks like this:

1/2 cup almond milk and 1/2 cup water
1/2 cup pumpkin puree
1 scoop vanilla protein powder
1/2 banana
1 tsp. pumpkin spice
1 tsp. cinnamon 
Dash of flax seed
4-5 ice cubes

Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment